My memories of Shane.......

Thoughts on the passing of Shane Hulsey
jason S

My memories of Shane.......

Postby jason S » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:41 am

My memories of Shane.....
I bought my first boat in 98 from Big Daddy Mark Travis….a pyranha storm. After many weeks at Oak Mountain lake learning to roll, by buddy Drew Baldwin and I were ready for whitewater! We had read all about the Mulberry fork and decided to load up and give it a try. When we got to the take out, there was a group finishing up their run. Drew and I walked down to the river and it looked pretty intense. It might have been two feet, but intense to a newbie. Drew and I had second thoughts and were considering going back home since we had never been on moving water before. Just as we were getting in the car to leave, here comes this soft spoken hippy looking guy to talk to us. He introduced himself as SHANE HULSEY. It looked like he was a bit tired and ready to head home. He sounded like he had some experience, so we started asking him all kinds of questions about the river and how to navigate it. Next thing I knew, Shane was in our car, boat on roof, and we were on our way to the put in. Shane didn’t have to go for a second run on the Mulberry that day just to show a couple of newbies the “lines”. He must have chased my paddle or boat 10 times that day when I couldn't roll up and had a complete yard sale over and over. As the years went by, I spent a lot of time on the water with Shane. He taught me so much about how to read water and navigate good lines. Thinking back on it all, Shane was there just about every time I ran a new river. There were many occasions where I had driven all the way to the Ocoee to realize that the pfd or spray skirt was left at home. Shane always saved the day with an extra one in his car. On days when the temperature dropped and extra layers were needed, Shane always hooked me up. It might have been awful stinky capilene, but he was always willing to share what he had. He was a great person to be around. His passion for the river rubbed off on everyone around him. It is a tragedy that this has happened.

So here’s to the guy who taught me how to run whitewater…..SHANE HULSEY.

Dear friend, you may be gone, but you will never be forgotten.

Jason Smith

Return to “Shane”